Yesterday I participated in an event called 'Relay for Life' of the American Cancer Association.
My employer decided last month that we would be participating in this event and would raise money for the ACA. I was really excited to be able to be apart of this fundraiser.
I have not been directly effected by cancer. Nor has anyone in mine or Marks family line. However, those who know me, know that I am a hypochondriac and have a constant fear that I will have cancer someday. Seems silly and crazy? It is, but I can't shake the feeling. Since becoming a mother, it has increased to the point where I fear Lily will have cancer. I know, I need a therapist :)
Which is why I felt so motivated to be apart of this event. I do not want to fear cancer, I want to have hope that someday we won't have to fear it, we will understand how to cure/prevent the disease or that we won't have to hear the words 'you have cancer' and feel it is the end.
I've spent April and May fundraising. Selling luminary, asking for donations and having a pancake sale at work. With our efforts (combined sites Tucson East and West) we managed to raise $2,599 for the ACA. Yay!!
Now, to explain how Relay for Life works...
The event was at the Empire High school, teams from all over Tucson participated. My team was Awesome People Against Cancer. The point is to have one person from each team, taking turns walking the track from 6:00pm until 7:00am the following morning. Because cancer does not sleep, and for one night we won't either.The event starts off with the celebration ceremony, celebrating those who have survived cancer.
| Our Canopy, we sold water, apples and oranges for more fundraising |
| Lily enjoyed all the fun activities :) |
Then when the sun goes down, the Remembrance ceremony begins. Luminaria are lit, representing those who have lost the battle to cancer and those who are currently battling. It was very moving. I am amazed by the many number of people who have been effected by cancer. Hearing their stories make me cry. Though I feel blessed to have my health, my heart aches for their pain and losses.
| This luminaria is in honor of Little Diego, grandson of our friend Ricardo. Diego is 10 years old and currently battling lukemia, he may lose the fight. :( |
| My heart goes out to all who are effected by cancer. |
The morning comes the fight back ceremony, where we celebrate our fight against cancer.
It was such a special experience to be apart of this event. Even if the walking for three hours straight around the track was boring, it was worth it. I want to find more opportunities to participate in fundraisers such as this. Even if myself and my family never end up with a terminal illness, at least I can help others who may not be as lucky to celebrate more birthdays :)
No comments:
Post a Comment