Yesterday afternoon I offered to put up my mother in law Tina's Christmas lights. She has been through a lot these past few months and has no time to do anything for herself. So, thought I'd bring her some Christmas cheer. I got up on a ladder to put up her lights on top of her house. The ladder was leaning against the house, I only had a quarter of the roof left to go...and slip! The ladder slipped off the house going downward towards the ground with me on it. It was about a six foot drop according to Tina. It happened so fast, I had no time to react. I don't remember falling, only landing. When I landed, Tina told me not to move which wasn't a problem because I was in shock about what had happened and just wanted to focus on calming my breathing. I could see blood falling fast to the floor from my face. First thought? I hope I still have my teeth. Once my tongue confirmed they were still in tact, I thought that I must have broke my nose due to all the blood which vainly, made me worry about what my face may look like (silly). Tina called for Mark, I could tell when he came out and saw me on the ground he was really scared. I had to tell him I was ok, but I was kind of worried I may not be due to Tina's reaction. They flipped me over 'like a log', asked me if I was hurting any where and if they need to call the ambulance, honestly I felt fine. Tina asked me what day it was, which stumped me, couldn't remember if it was the 14th or 15th...which I guess was good enough to know I was ok. They walked me into the house and covered me in frozen veggies. Head to toe, covered in bags of peas and corn, so it was pretty cold. I thought all the precautions were pretty silly considering I felt fine. A little sore, but felt I could walk back outside and finish the lights. My lip was cut pretty badly from hitting the ladder and my nose looked like Rudolphs, but all things considered I pretty felt good.
Finally, time for me to get up off the couch and see how I felt walking...that's when I felt some pain. My foot hurt when pressured was applied, so following Tina's advice, we went to urgent care and got an x-ray. Again, I felt pain, but not enough to think anything was broken. Well, I was wrong. I have a small break in my foot, but fortunately it should be good in about two weeks as long as I don't walk on it. If I do walk on it, I could get a screw put into my foot (not good). I get to wear a pretty cool boot which makes me feel like a superhero, but I am still pretty upset. Nothing bothers me more then my independence being taken from me. I can't carry lily, I can't stand for long periods of time (cause both knees are sore) and I don't know how I'm going to maneuver around work this week. Plus I have to still do Christmas shopping! I can take the pain any day, but the inconvenience of having to use crutches and not being able to do cross fit has me pretty sad. Hopefully I will be good after the two weeks and don't have to wait to long before going back to the gym, but right now I wish I could rewind time and better assess the ladder before climbing up. I'm sure things could have been worse, and I should be grateful, but I still have the right to be annoyed, correct? Today was hard, but tomorrow will be better...maybe my arms and right leg will be stronger because of this? Power of positive thinking.
Lessons learned? You still need to be smart, even when doing service to others; Don't do manual labor on sundays; Gravity is pretty amazing; I have a high pain tolerance; and the human body is fragile. I still want to finish those lights though.
Mark said this will be a memorable Christmas...but I'd rather not remember :)
| My classy footwear...I'm going to need to paint my toe nails |
| My mouth hurts the worst...I look stoned. |
| I'm going to tell people at work I do cage fighting on the weekends, then they will think I'm a bad ass instead of just a clutz |
| This is a good idea for next Halloween, frozen food section :) |
No comments:
Post a Comment