Monday, December 7, 2015

Christmas Season Begins

We are beginning to feel 'Christmassy' in the Ontiveros house.

We went to the BDO Christmas party, it was an ugly sweater party, which we definitely did not wear the ugliest sweaters. It was nice to meet some of Marks new co-workers, most are female, but they were all very nice. Jacob has been getting over the stomach flu from our trip to SLC. And he decided to vomit on the street and kitchen floor at the party, ya know, to make things interesting :). We thought he was done throwing up, otherwise we would have stayed home. Oh well.

Mark and Jacob in their ugly Christmas outfits...forgot to get a picture of mine!

The party was at a neighborhood that goes all out for Christmas lights, it was fun to stroll around and see the lights.


We decided to get a real Christmas tree this year. Mainly because we don't want to take our big fake tree out of storage, and because it has been years since I've had a great smelling pine tree in the house. We found our little tree a Lowels (yeah, real Christmassy), it is about 5 ft. tall, just perfect for out little place. So much easier to put up, and decorate.

Lily always in her Chonies. She had a habbit of putting every ornament in the same spot. (bottom right)

LOVE this picture of them. Hopefully they will appreciate it someday.

First Christmas festivities!

My boy!



We went out of town for Thanksgiving this year, so the downside of this is no Thanksgiving leftovers to munch on! So, we decided to have our own Thanksgiving dinner. Call it, Thankristmas dinner. An inbetween the holidays meal. It was my first time cooking a turkey, and I forgot you need a roaster or roaster pan. I do not own one of these. So, I improvised an used the crockpot and then broiled it to make the skin crispy. It was a sad looking bird! lol. First time making stuffing too...it uses a lot of butter. Overall it was fun to have a fancy little meal with our little family. Possibly a new family tradition? Maybe next time i'll be prepared to cook the turkey in a roaster.



We went to the Mesa Temple lights Saturday night. It's always difficult to make plans work when you have kids. Life is just so unpredictable with little ones. I struggled with that realization during our SLC trip, at the BDO party and I again struggled with that reality last night.
Case in point: We went to a Mexican restaurant for dinner before the lights, Lily likes to play under the table (which we ask her repeatedly not to do, but what do we know...right?). She lifts her hand up from under the table to touch the surface of the table and grabbed her soup bowl instead. Soup fell from the table and onto her head. Cheesy tortilla soup all over her and the floor. And of course, lands in her eyes. she is freaking out, the whole restaurant is looking at us and I am upset with her because she does not obey us and now our night is ruined! I'm getting the stink eye from the staff cause I'm not babying her, and we go to the bathroom to get her cleaned. Have you ever tried taking melted cheese out of curly hair? IMPOSSIBLE! She is sobbing, asking for forgiveness for not listening, I tell her she is forgiven but we are now not going to see the lights  as a consequence of her actions and cause she is messy, we needed to go home.  On our way out of the restaurant, Mark states we are going to go the lights anyways. Despite my objections, he was not going to have our plans spoiled again. I'm glad he made that decision for our family. We got to the lights, and my foul mood was changed instantly as I saw the display of Mary and Joseph with Baby Jesus. I felt myself become happy and hopeful that these things we go through with our kids are just a life experience. These are memories that we will laugh about, but what is important is that we making them together. Thanks to the Savior. Mark asked me at dinner, 'if the you 10 yrs ago could see the you now, what do you think they'd say?', my immediate response was, 'you have the family you never thought you'd have.' That is all that matters. Who cares if my child wants to play under the table, yes it can cause risks (soup on head, big risk), but I need to not think that 'my' plans have been ruined, but that I am living the life I never thought I'd have. I love my little family so much. Throwup/soup on head and all.


 
 

 

 

 

 


 

 
Another update....Jacob is 5 months now! Yay! He is the sweetest little man. Still hopeful he will start crawling soon...predicting by Christmas.
 

He loves to look at Lily


First Carousel ride


Lily punished him for pulling her hair. I thought he'd gotten there by himself, but she confessed what had happened. It was hilarious, despite the sad face.


Lily's Grammy took her to do a bungee thingy...I was dying! Scared the crap out of me to watch her. My little thrill seeker!
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment