Sunday, November 11, 2012

Dia de los Muertos

Sunday we went downtown and joined the Dia de los Muertos procession. For those of you who have never heard of 'Dia de los Muertos', here is a quick explanation. Dia de los Muertos is spanish for Day of the Dead. It is primarily a mexican cultural tradition, in which friends and family members get together to remember those who have passed away. People will celebrate those who passed by painting their faces as skulls, adorned by bright colors and traditional dress.
Here in Tucson, we have a procession (parade). Bands will march, people will create floats and others will bring memorabilia of their family members who have passed on.
The was my first time going to a Dia de los Muertos procession, I have always wanted to be apart of one. We did not paint our faces, but we defintly will next year. I was surprised by how many people were participating, and I was touched by all of the pictures of loved ones who have died and were being represented by family/friends. We followed the procession, Lily wore her Folklorico dress and we brought her day of the dead mask.
It was lots of fun and very moving. I can't wait to attend again next year!
Here are some photos from the procession...









No comments:

Post a Comment